Prehnite is a stone that forms in a range of colors, from white and colorless, to brown and gray, to yellow and light shades of green. Dark green shades of prehnite do exist, but they’re much harder to find.
In the Post
- What Else Do We Know about This Healing Stone?
- Prehnite History and Legend
- Prehnite Symbolism
- Healing Power of Prehnite
- Prehnite and Chakras
What Else Do We Know about This Healing Stone?
Some prehnite formations also contain a small quantity of iron, which adds a more striking blend of orange and yellow to their color.
Prehnite’s mineral composition contains calcium and aluminum. Its physical make-up gives this stone a wax-like, glass-like or pearl-like appearance.
Known for its attractive look, prehnite can be highly polished and set in jewelry. However, due to the vast prehnite deposits that make this stone readily available, it’s not classed as a precious gemstone.
Prehnite is found across the world, in South Africa, America, Australia, China and Europe.
Prehnite History and Legend
A Dutch colonel named Hendrik von Prehn first discovered prehnite during his time in South Africa.
Colonel Hendrik von Prehn was governor of the Cape of Good Hope in the late 1700s. He gave this stone its name: ‘Prehn’, which later became ‘prehnite’. Although Colonel Prehn was in South Africa as a Dutch military commander, he also had an eye for business.
Prehn acted on his initiative and added prehnite into the already bustling gemstone trade in South Africa.
Perhaps due to its earthy range of colors, prehnite has long been associated with the land itself.
Prehnite is linked to Mother Gaia, the earth goddess from Greek mythology. Greek myths tell us that Gaia (Gaea in Greek) was one of the original gods and goddesses who governed the world before the Titans and then the Olympians.
Ancient, shaman-based religions of South Africa also prized prehnite long before its discovery by Colonel Prehn.
Back at the origins of its use, prehnite linked closely to the ability to contact spiritual beings from other planes of existence, as well as seeing into the future by forging a connection between the tangible world and the intangible world.
In some modern times, prehnite is the birthstone for the Libra zodiac sign, along with sunstone, ametrine, citrine, morganite and tourmaline, among others.
In order to extract the best benefits from prehnites, many say that you should keep the stone close by you for as much time as you can.
Of course, wearing prehnite jewelry is a chic and effective way to make sure you do that!
The stone has been said to…
- Symbolize unbounded love and affection
- Embody qualities of truthfulness and calm, as well as promoting a sensitive nature. For this reason, prehnites often link to promoting a person’s ability to meditate, by putting them in a peaceful mindset.
- Enhance people’s ability to think and feel positively, seeing the up-side of any situation
- Aid spiritual development in a person, enhancing their ability to connect with spiritual beings. Some even claim that prehnite puts them in touch with archangels and other celestial forms.
- Help people to prepare themselves for whatever may come their way
- Support the development and enhancement of personal discipline and self-control
- Promote creative thinking and work, as well as an active imagination
It also has power to…
- Enhance perception, natural intuition, visualization and feelings of forewarning. Some often refer to this quality as the ability to prophesize)
- Provide respite for those who are always helping others
- Help to protect the bearer, surrounding them with peacefulness and safety
- Promote coexistence with the natural world around us
- Promote living in harmony with the elemental forces of the planet
- Support prosperous living and activities, enriching your lifestyle
- In general, prehnite is a calming presence that alleviates over-thinking, over-talking and over-activity
Healing Power of Prehnite
Many sources connect prehnite to strong healing powers that range across the whole body, covering many major organs.
This gemstone has been said to:
- Promote healing in the chest and lungs, as well as across the shoulders
- Help to cure damage to the connective tissue in the body
- Speed up the body’s healing response to disease
- Help to purify the blood
- Aid those suffering with gout (a painful form of arthritis caused by there being too much uric acid in the body, which affects the joints)
- Promote healing in the bladder, the kidneys and the thymus gland (the thymus gland is located between the lungs and is responsible for producing white blood cells that form part of your immune system and fight infection in the body)
- Support the skeleton in general, as well as nails, teeth and hair
- Enhance tone in your skin and muscles. And, support for the muscles can be especially positive if you’re recuperating from a recent injury
Breaking bad habits
Prehnite is closely link to the ability to effectively clear the mind and change your outlook. So, it’s supposedly particularly useful for those who make a habit of holding onto things – both figuratively and literally.
Some people make a point of hoarding objects, whether that’s memorabilia, old possessions they just don’t need any more, or any other items that are slowly cluttering up their homes.
People are also known to ‘hoard’ emotions, refusing to let go of the past (including pat relationships) or clinging onto other people’s opinions or feelings about them.
Healers believe that this stone helps balance out these habits, enabling individuals to remove the physical and emotional clutter from their lives and minds.
For this reason, prehnites often associate with karma and feng shui. Literally translating to ‘wind and water’, feng shui is an ancient, traditional Chinese practice of reconciling people with their surrounding environments.
Overcoming fears and worries
Prehnites have something to do with our brains’ capacity to dream, as well as to our memory:
- Helping to reduce nightmares and troubling dreams. To promote this stone’s abilities in this area, why not sleep with a piece of prehnite under your pillow at night?
- Enhancing your ability to overpower deep-seated fears and even more serious phobias
- Promoting your lucid dreaming skills. If lucid dreaming (controlling the content of your dreams) is something you’re interested in, sources suggest combining prehnite with hiddenite.
Boosting the capacity of our memories
Although we all use tips and tricks to help us remember our daily to-dos, most of these involve other objects, rather than just our own minds (thinks organization apps, post-its, notebooks and list pads).
With prehnite, some people suggest that you can enhance your memory’s function, to better recall even those little, seemingly insignificant things that you don’t reckon are important enough to actually note down for the future.
But, imagine if you could effortlessly remember colleagues’ families’ names, statistics in the news, or anything else… now, that would make life that little bit easier!
Prehnite and Chakras
Due to its variety of colors, prehnites also build bonds to a number of different chakras. Now, you might have heard that word before, but what actually are chakras?
Chakras are said to be psychic hotspots on the body. They directly link to our personal auras, as the flow of energy through our chakras closely connects to our thoughts and the state of our physical health.
There are seven chakras located around the body: the base chakra, the sex chakra, the solar plexus chakra, the heart chakra, the throat chakra, the eye chakra and the crown chakra.
In order to keep your prehnite close to the heart, solar plexus and eye chakras, you might want to wear prehnite rings, brooches, necklaces, pendants, headbands or hair slides.
More about chakra and healing powers
- Best Chakra Stones for Meditation
- 5 Best Crystals for Root Chakra
- 9 Crystals for Grief Relief
- Healing Properties of Selenite
- 8 Best Healing Crystals for Anxiety
Yellow: solar plexus chakra
The solar plexus chakra is also known as the power chakra. Supposedly, this area of the chest is where your personal will physically emanates from.
Green: heart chakra
Prehnite has been said to reinforce the connection and communication between your heart and your mind, supporting you to truly live your life from the heart.
Apparently, the heart emits a stronger electromagnetic force than the brain. So, by tuning into the heart chakra using prehnite, people are able to make their heart’s desires the leading motivation in their lives.
Memory: third-eye chakra
As we’ve seen, this stone links to enhancing our memory; third-eye chakra also connects with this skill.
Combining prehnite with these chakras could lead to interesting results, as you channel imagination and creativity, the true feelings of your heart and enhanced intuition all in one.
If you’re interested in using prehnite, make sure you check which stone you’re buying carefully. There are several types of gemstone out there that look remarkably similar to light-green prehnite (such as aventurine, sometimes sold – along with prehnite – as ‘New Jade’)
Stones of more colors
- Green Gemstones for You
- Purple Gemstones: Ornaments for Your Elegance
- Pink Gemstones: Get to Know the Best of the Best
- A Guide of Blue Gemstones You Can Actually Buy
- Popular and Rare Black Gemstones
- Yellow Gemstones: Increase Your Creative and Intellectual Energy
The beauty for you today